About nine months ago I stopped using deodorant. Not on purpose… at first. I began working from home when I ran out. I didn’t leave the house much and figured… who is going to smell my pits anyway?? I also figured now would be the best time to stop using commercial brand store bought deodorant because of all the chemicals in them. I researched some recipes for handmade deodorants online and through my own library of books. Anything that can be handmade, you best believe I will find it and make it. I found several recipes that I liked.. most of them used similar ingredients. After I mixed and matched to come up with my own creation, I gathered all of the things I needed and was off and running. My first batch was a powder deodorant and it was THEE absolute BOMB!! I loved it!! My second batch… well lets just say it was a little messier than the first. I tried to create a batch to go into my own deodorant container. It oozed out the bottom so I put it in the frig to make it solid and then I couldn’t get it out.O_o oops.
My handmade was better than any deodorant I could have bought if I do say so myself.. and I DO say so. =) Now my deodorant is NOT antiperspirant. While I DO sweat… I do not have any odor. And its not like I am a sweating mess. The ingredients for this deodorant are designed to kill the bad odor causing bacteria. Oh and my fabulous handmade deodorant does not work on hairy pits. O_O Hair under the arms causes the build up of the sweat which in a closed environment is another cause of odor. Sweating in necessary for the body to rid itself of the toxins and wastes from the body. If you block your glands from producing sweat, which is what some if not most deodorants do, than those toxins and wastes are trapped in the body and can cause illness or contribute to the illnesses you may already have. If you are perspiring too much, then that could be a sign of illness as well.
A few chemicals to watch out for are that know to be dangerous to the body:
- “Aluminum chlorohydrate, aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly or any aluminum compounds. Aluminum is absorbed through the skin and accumulates in the body. It has been suggested that there is an association between aluminum and Alzheimer’s disease”
- “Parabens (methyl, ethyl, propyl, benzyl and butyl) These are harmful in contact with the skin. There is some evidence that repeated exposure may cause reproductive harm.”
- “Triclosan a skin irritant and may cause contact dermatitis”
- “Talc a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer if it contains asbestos fibers”
- “Silica a skin irritant. It may be contaminated with crystalline quartz, which is a carcinogen.”
So there is the skinny on deodorant. I know some of you laughed at me or frown your face when I said I no longer use it and made my own.. But I am chemical free nine months strong. Well at least free of THOSE chemicals.
Want to learn more about Holistic Health and Wellness and how it can help you along your journey?
Email me at email@example.com for a FREE 15 minute information
session to assess what NUBODI service is right for you.
Please feel free to share my blogs with your friends and family on your
social media page. Don’t forget to visit my website at NUBODI.
As usual, thank you for reading and I will see you tomorrow!